Thursday 1 November 2018

"Half Time Score" BJJ 1- OCD 0


I have been overly checking, amongst other things, door locks, taps and car handbrakes are "definitely still off!" for as long as I can remember. 

Apparently Einstein said that doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for a different result was a sign of madness.

That would definitely make me mad. Or it could just make me someone who gets anxious easily and thinks that rituals like repeatedly checking a door a tap the car door the handbrake is definitely off will help make me feel calmer. Sadly it really doesn't it just reinforces the compulsion and makes them stronger and harder to break. Following a 3 month CBT course in 2010 I was told that I had OCD.

OCD can give me distressing and unsettling intrusive thoughts which lead to feelings of shame and guilt. This leads to increased feelings of  anxiety and then finally to finish off a big hairy dollop of depression. I've been on and off various types of antidepressants since 2000. It's not great. I have also tried lots of things to combat it and have found that the following help in no particular order.

1) Not too much coffee (certainly none after 4pm ish)

2) Getting no less than 5 hours a sleep-not easy as a parent to 3 under 6!

3) Exercise (anything from gardening to being the tickle monster,it's all good!)

4) Meditation

5) Time spent with my family

6) And last but by no means least the activity that seems to be the thing that has really got the dragon on it's back,Brazilian Jui Jitsu.

This song is about that. I hope you enjoy it.

James aka Middle Class Wrapper





"The gentle art"

BJJ is something I do in my spare time its teaching me how to be humble when submitted by teenagers


A mid-life crisis can be avoided if you take the route straight to

what is known as

A TRIAL CLASS

I struggle with OCD
I get anxious locking doors
I always want to check them one more time

Who's that worried looking bloke?

You should stop feeling so anxious mate

Get some gentle art!

CHORUS

All the white belts
So many white belts
They’ll all learn to control their minds
If they learn to stick to this gentle art

Did you hear that bloke scream?

I train whenever I want
As long as it's Wednesday
the other nights I’m wrestling small people into pyjamas

GENTLE ART

I wash my gum shield
Make sure I’ve got a towel
And I attempt to leave the house

Gentle art

I try to help the white belts
That usually involves losing
But it gives me a sense of enormous well-being

GENTLE ART

I'm then happy for the rest of the day
Safe in the knowledge
They’ll remember
beating a father of 3 and turning him the colour of his belt

CHORUS

All the white belts
10% become blue belts
If they learn to stick to this gentle art

They call it Gentle art

I must be doing it wrong it doesn’t feel very gentle

It's got nothing to do with your
Fast twitch muscle fibres, you know
And it's not about your split times

That go up and down and up and down
CHORUS

All the blue belts
And most of the purples
And they’ll all learn to control their minds
If they learn to stick to this the gentle art

CHORUS

1 in 100
Might become a black belt
It also might help me to be
a bloke who can just
 leave the house

Know what I mean



No comments:

Post a Comment